Roasted Sweet Potatoeswith Salsa Negra
Salsa made with modelo negra adds robust flavors to this roasted sweet potatoes recipe.
prep10 MINcook70 MIN
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 3 small) sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 cans chipotle chiles en adobo 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 cup Modelo Negra®
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- A few tablespoons of chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 or 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream thinned with a little milk, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Slice each of the sweet potatoes into lengthwise wedges. Lightly butter or oil a 13x9-inch baking dish, and lay in the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- To make the salsa, place the two entire cans of chiles (and their canning sauce) in a blender along with the molasses, Modelo, sugar and ½ cup water. Process until completely smooth. Scrape into a small 2-quart) saucepan set over medium heat. Let the mixture come to a boil, then turn the heat to medium-low and continue simmering, stirring regularly, until the mixture is the consistency of tomato paste, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce. If necessary, add some water, a little at a time, until the salsa is the consistency of runny ketchup. Cool, taste and season with salt—it may not need any, depending on the saltiness of your soy sauce, spoon the mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes. Transfer the salsa to a pint-size jar and store, covered, in the refrigerator, where it will last for a month or two.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until potatoes are almost fork-tender, about 28-30 minutes.
- Raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees, uncover the potatoes, baste with the juices and bake until the potatoes are nicely glazed about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with, chopped cilantro and a drizzle of cream if you wish, and it’s ready to serve.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
Modelo supports the Century Councils fight against underage drinking and drunk driving. To learn more, visit their website at: www.centurycouncil.org
Drink Responsibly. Modelo Especial®, Modelo Negra™ & Modelo Especial® Chelada, Imported by Crown Imports, Chicago, IL.